Photo by Kevin S. Abel
The Ehrenfels Castle formed together with the Mauseturm and the Klopp Castle a northward barrier since the 13th Century, in order to protect the territory of the archbishop of Mainz.
In the Middle Ages it was strategically of greatest importance because of its favorable location above the Binger Loch. It was as toll station, an important pecuniary resource for the bishops and the church.
The castle, which was used in times of war as a hiding place for the cathedral treasury of Aachen, was extensively destroyed in 1689.